AlertingLPAR2RRD has build-in alerting feature. This is not implemented for VMware yet, only IBM Power Systems.
You can define alarms based on performance data for any CPU pool or LPAR in your environment.
|ALL servers||Paging||MB/sec||OS agent|
|server||CPU||CPU core or %||HMC|
|CPU POOL||CPU||CPU core or %||HMC|
|LPAR||CPU||CPU core or %||HMC|
|LPAR||CPU OS||%||OS agent|
|LPAR||Memory used||%||OS agent|
|LPAR||Paging allocation||%||OS agent|
|LPAR||SAN response time||mili seconds||OS agent|
- Emailing. You can place direct email address on each directive, use email groups or default email address.
Nagios support. You can configure Nagios to pick up alarms from LPAR2RRD via standard NRPE module.
LPAR2RRD Nagios plug-in installation
- External alerting via external shell script. Each alert can invoke defined script with given parameters. You can use it for your integration needs.
- SNMP trap: it is implemented since 4.96, follow this to configure it
- Alert plug-ins to other monitoring tools can be developed on demand especially for customers under support contract
Configuration v5.00+Since version 5.00 is all configuration managed through the UI ➡ IBM Power ➡ Alerting
Upgrade to 5.00 converts all already defined alerts into a new format, do not more use procedure below in 5.00+.
To allow HMC data based alerting place this job into lpar2rrd's crontab:
Note: If you use HMC REST API then this is not necessary!
0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/load_alert.sh > /home/lpar2rrd/lpar2rrd/load_alert.out 2>&1
Email setupUse your company's default email setup on the operating system you run LPAR2RRD.
There is no any specific setup in the tool, it uses setting on the operating system.
In case of problems
- Try send out a testing email from cmd line:
$ echo "test message"| mailx -s test firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check success in mail log /var/log/maillog (Linux), /var/log/mail (AIX)